Wednesday 18 September 2013

Marc Jacobs: Magic or Tragic

Hello All,


Recently Marc Jacobs of both fashion and perfume fame, lauched his line of cosmetics, everything from foundation to nail polish. And, while I admit that I did not pick up most of the products that were available (as they are really, really, REALLY expensive) I did pick up one of the Style Eye-Con No.7- Plush Shadow pallets.


There were four pallets available,

  • The Tease
  • The Lolita
  • The Starlet
  • The Vamp
Each one is very slightly different:

The Tease: is predominatly purples
The Lolita: is a neutral pallet
The Starlet: is all shimmery metallics
the Vamp: is a collection of darker colours with a green and maroon

I ended picking up the Starlett pallet, by accident as it had been mixed up with the Vamp pallet.
Left to Right: metallic muted lilac, metallic champagne pink, metallic dark copper brown, metallic bright copper, metallic gold, metallic bluish silver, metallic gunmetal gray.


This is one of the strangest pallets that I have ever seen in terms of over all packaging, The pallet when purchased comes in a bag, ... in a box. Yes thats right, the pallet itself comes in a bag, that you can't even use as a way of transporting it as it doesn't really close, and then that is inside of a cardstock box. Inside the bag alongside that pallet is a small sponge tip applicator, which we will talk more about in a minute, and a sort of plastic "liner" on top of the shadows themselves.

One complaint I have is the actual structure of the pallet itself. I love the idea of having a mirror with your palletit makes travel so much easier, but unless your pallet is literally at eye level this mirror is not going to work,it does not bend back past 90°. The latch that opens the pallet is so touchy it either doesn't work (in particular I noticed when I first opened it it took 5 minutes because of the "liner" but continues to stick without it.) or it opens if you look at it wrong. And the final insult of the actual pallet is that it is packaged with a small sponge tip applicator, but there is NO WHERE to put it. Not in the pallet, or the lid won't close, and there isn't even a place on the back of the pallet to put it, the bag it comes in doesn't even close well so you can't carry it in there either.

Left to Right: metallic muted lilac, metallic champagne pink, metallic dark copper brown, metallic bright copper, metallic gold, metallic bluish silver, metallic gunmetal gray.
The eyeshadows themselvesI don't particularilly like either, the shadows I will admit feel really smooth and soft which is nice, but they don't transfer well to brushes. The colours are ridiculously simular, the muted lilac and the gunmetal gray look so close, and the champagne pink is not far behind the lilac in tone. Not only that the biggest problem I had with the eyeshadows was the fact that regardless of what I did, whether I tapped the loose shadow off the brush or not, the fallout from these shadows was terrible, by the time I was done with my makeup it looked like there was more eyeshadow on my face, than on my eyes. And to top it off, the overall selection of eyeshadows in all the pallets, most of them were shimmery, there were very very few matte eyeshadows.

Overall, for the price of $71.99 (in store) or $59.00 (online) for seven eyeshadows that cause incredible fall out, the lack of differing finishes and, ridiculous packaging both in and outside the pallet, I would not purchase these again, and I would not recomend them to any one, I do not believe that they were tested much before they were released, nor do I believe that they put much effort into developing decent shadow selections or good formulas.


Check out how passionate I feel about it here:


 
 
 
The Makeup Breakup








No comments:

Post a Comment