Friday 27 September 2013

Feel Good Beauty: Green Smoothies

Hello, Hello!


So recently I've really been getting into healthy living. The biggest reason is that both exercises and healthy eating play a big part in not only the way you feel about yourself and the way you look. For me personally I set a challenge for my self each month it doesn't have to be a big goal it can be as small as drinking 2.5- 3 Litres of water a day, walking for an hour each day or as difficult as a diet, weight or activity challenge.

My personal challenge for the month of October is to drink a green smoothie everyday. All green smoothie recipes are different but there are four main parts to each smoothie.

  1. The Greens: Most green smoothies call for either spinach, kale or both. Spinach is a little easier on the blender, and kale can be both tough and bitter, but I have ways of working around the blender issue as kale is packed with all sorts of vitamins and minerals.
  2. The Fruit: The fruit is super easy use any kind of fruit you like berries, bananas, pineapple, mango, they're all good. I even really like watermelon, try using frozen fruit (except for the banana which will thicken your smoothie anyway.) it will help thicken your smoothie so you don't have to add ice.
  3. The Liquid: Juice, water, milk, or any other type of liquid is absolutely necessary, if there is no liquid in your blender jar, your smoothie will not purée. I like a combo of juice and water about 75% : 25% ratio.
  4. The Boosters: These are all your extras, my personal trainer likes hemp and chia seeds in hers, but I don't like how "chunky" these make my smoothies, I know of other people who like protein powders, at the moment I like flax seeds which break down really well and ground nuts.
The fantastic thing about green smoothies even if you use kale is you don't taste the greens, all you taste is the fruit and any other things you add to it.

 
Ana's Green Smoothie
 
1-2 handfuls of baby spinach (use two handfuls if your not using kale)
1 handfuls of kale (optional)
3/4 cup juice (must be 100% juice)
1/4 water
1- 1 1/2cups of mixed frozen fruit
2 tbsp flax seeds
2tbsp ground nuts
honey to taste (optional

  1. Put greens, flax seeds and half the water into the blender jar. Purée until smooth.
  2. Add juice, frozen fruit, ground nuts, honey and the rest of the water. Blend again till smooth.
  3. Pour into a large glass and serve.
Like I said this is one of my favourite green smoothie recipes, and I feel so good after drinking it, I've even tricked other people (who don't like healthy food at all) and they love this smoothie, also remember depending on what fruits you add to your smoothie may change the colour.

So I think I'm going to try posting daily on Feel Good Beauty as a series, with everything from exercises to healthy recipes, and all sorts of health tips.


So leave me a comment on some of your favourite healthy recipes.

The Makeup Breakup

No comments:

Post a Comment